Living with cancer
I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday weekend. It was beautiful here in Philadelphia, and because I was feeling so good, I took full advantage of the nice weather. It's gotten to the point where I do sometimes forget I have cancer, for a few minutes at a time. I feel my abdomen, and I can't feel those tumors anymore. There's no more pain. There's just not a lot to remind me that, lurking under my skin, coursing through my blood, are evil cells that could eventually destroy me. So I guess that's a good thing. Sure makes me happier.
But then, my whole life really does revolve around breast cancer: LympheDIVAs, doctor visits, bloody noses, wigs. I can't forget about it, and I don't want to. Does it define me? Maybe. But it's such a part of me now that it's integrated with my being, my attitude, my soul. This IS "living with cancer." I'm beginning to understand it more every day.
But then, my whole life really does revolve around breast cancer: LympheDIVAs, doctor visits, bloody noses, wigs. I can't forget about it, and I don't want to. Does it define me? Maybe. But it's such a part of me now that it's integrated with my being, my attitude, my soul. This IS "living with cancer." I'm beginning to understand it more every day.

3 Comments:
Oh, goody, I get to make the first comment!!!!!
Glad you had such a glorious holiday and that the weather helped to make it possible.
I think you've come to understand that "living with cancer" means emphasizing the "living" part. There's no denying the "cancer" part, but the trick is to maximize the moments of joy when you temporarily forget the cancer.
Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year this year, has very special meaning.
Much love,
Mina
I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the weather this past weekend. With regards to your question about cancer defining you...I think your amazying strength, your incredible support system that you've inspired every day, and your tremndous growing business are more of the components that "define" you. Sure, you're living with Cancer, but you're also beginning to really feel what it's like to LIVE which is ultimately the greatest feeling of all!
Hugs from Baltimore!
Barb
How lovely that normal can feel so good. I wish you an especially happy and healthy new year. You've earned it!
Post a Comment
<< Home