Thursday, April 19, 2007

Words of encouragement

I met with Glick today. I told him that my chest bump is no longer causing much pain (stopped taking Tylenol last Friday), and that my liver pain is more of a cramp now. He lit up and was greatly encouraged by this! He said that would have been the first thing he would have expected – the lessening of pain. He wasn’t expecting any shrinking of tumors (yet) because it’s too soon, but he definitely felt that nothing had gotten bigger. In fact, he thought the chest bump seemed “less full” to him. I can’t really tell – I look at it every day, several times a day, so any changes are not apparent to me. But to hear him say that was really a boost.

We also presented to him some ideas for treatment, from retesting the tumor to re-biopsying to new drugs and processes. He pretty much discounted all of them, which, in light of the progress discussed in above paragraph, didn’t really discourage me. He did mention that HUP is working on a cancer vaccine, and that if I did have a full remission, I might be eligible for trying that. Now that’s a goal to focus on!! A breast cancer vaccine! That’s what I want. I’m going for it.

Not only have I gotten these boosts of encouragement from my body and from science and from Glick, but I have to say that every single time I read a note that’s posted on the blog, or when I get an email from someone, or when I get a phone call or message, it’s like a drug for me. It nourishes me, all these words of love and encouragement, and it increases my resolve.

And, in turn, I am so touched that I’ve been able to help other people, too. It’s a privilege to be able to share my thoughts and have them be used in a positive way to make other people, who I don’t even know, feel better. So thank you. And thank you for your prayers – I think I have most major religions represented!

Speaking of which, my friend Margaret has organized a Novena to begin this Sunday, April 22, at 9 pm EST. Here is the information:

"To honor Rachel and to be a part of her miracle, we will pray a Novena to St. John Neumann asking for this special favor -
MAY RACHEL TROXELL EXPERIENCE A COMPLETE AND PERMANENT REMISSION OF HER BREAST CANCER AND A RENEWED STRENGTH OF BODY AND MIND.

Please print out the "Nine Days of Prayer Imploring the Intercession of St. John Neumann" at http://www.stjohnneumann.org/Novena.pdf
I ask you to pray these short Novena prayers each night at 9:00 p.m. EST for the nine days beginning on Sunday, April 22, 2007.

If you are not catholic or do not feel comfortable with the Novena, just please meditate, pray or just send some positive thoughts her way each of the nine days."

3 Comments:

Blogger Barb Moore said...

Rachel,
This most recent entry is so encouraging and gives us all great direction for our universal prayer for 4/22. Let's all concentrate our energy on getting you qualified for the vaccine. How great will that be??? Go Rachel Go!

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all of you who would like to know Rachel's Hebrew name so that she can be included in the prayers for healing(mishabayach), which are said during the Torah service on Shabbat, it is: Rachel Bat Yehudit.
Love to all and sending good thoughts to everyone.
Mom and Dad

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello rachael,
we've only met once, but i wanted you to know you are in my thoughts(very positive thoughts).

thank you for sharing your thoughts with all of us.

anne hurst..leigh's mom

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home