Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cranky cancer

Sometimes I forget that I have cancer. Not that I really forget, but more that I forget that it's something extremely serious and that because of it, I can't do certain things. And then it starts to get cranky and says, "Hey! Remember me?" I've been taking for granted, for example, the fact that the chemo has been pretty easy on me. Recently, however, it's started to impact my body a little more. First it was the low blood counts. Now it's got this nasty tendency to give me a fever and make me sort of nauseous and crappy-feeling. Two weeks ago, I attributed that to the flu shot. But today, I've got the same symptoms. It's a low-grade fever and just a general malaise, but it's keeping me from going to a party that I had been looking forward to. And that made me sad. I don't want cancer to affect my life, and yet how could I expect it not to?

Still, on the upside, I got my tumor marker results and they continue to go down. Not significantly, just a little - but at least it's still in a downward trend. Carrie said there are "diminishing returns" as we get closer to 0. I wanted something more, but I'll definitely take this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Hi Rachel,

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling crappy lately, but I'm glad to hear that your tumor market counts are continuing to fall. Keep up the good work!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rach,
I'm sorry too to hear you've been feeling lousy. Bleah. But it's great news that even with the every other week chemo, your tumor markers continue to go down!
Thinking of you as usual.
Love,
Maren

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really need to forget that you have cancer -- otherwise you would not be able to enjoy life. You'd be worrying all the time about "what ifs" and "when ifs." As you are seeing, the cancer will tap you on the shoulder and say "hey, don't forget ME." But i say, try to forget as much as you can and enjoy every good moment, laughs shared with friends, hugs from the ones you love. That's really what makes up our everyday lives and those loving nuggets add up to living a life.

Wishing you many forgetting moments.
Love,
Mina

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Rachel,
I hope you are feeling better by now. I am a few days behind on my reading.
I am sorry that you had to miss your party.
I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Stay strong,

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home