The benefit of cancer
People who have had cancer always talk about how the disease has benefitted their lives. I myself have been guilty of this. It is true, there are ways in which my life has become enriched because of the experience, the consequences, and the way that I've dealt with the entire situation. I've learned so much about myself and about life and about other people. So, yes, I admit, cancer does have its advantages.
Another benefit of cancer, especially when it gets more serious, is that friends who you haven't seen or talked to in years start to come back to you. There have been postings on this blog, I've had emails. It is overwhelming, actually, the number of people who have written to me to show their support. I find it bittersweet. I would never have been in any kind of touch with many of them if it hadn't been for cancer. Yet, I am glad that I have been reconnected to them. Once again, there is this debt of gratitude that I owe to my cancer.
But all this said, I still wish I never had it. I don't know what my life would be without it. I don't know if I'd be happier, or wiser, or stronger. Probably not. But what else is there to say? I hate my cancer, I love my cancer. It is now my constant companion, and I am trying to squeeze any benefit out of it that I can.
Another benefit of cancer, especially when it gets more serious, is that friends who you haven't seen or talked to in years start to come back to you. There have been postings on this blog, I've had emails. It is overwhelming, actually, the number of people who have written to me to show their support. I find it bittersweet. I would never have been in any kind of touch with many of them if it hadn't been for cancer. Yet, I am glad that I have been reconnected to them. Once again, there is this debt of gratitude that I owe to my cancer.
But all this said, I still wish I never had it. I don't know what my life would be without it. I don't know if I'd be happier, or wiser, or stronger. Probably not. But what else is there to say? I hate my cancer, I love my cancer. It is now my constant companion, and I am trying to squeeze any benefit out of it that I can.

1 Comments:
I think it's a matter of finding something good from a devastating situation. We learn from all of our life experiences. You learned that there are a lot of people who really care about you and support you. You've learned that you have enormous inner strength. You've learned to think in terms of today, tomorrow, next week, next test.
I've heard Dan Gottlieb, therapist and radio show host, talk about his life as a quadraplegic. The accident which changed his life, has made him a much different, better therapist. But would he give it all up to have his old life/body back? You betcha!
I get upset with people who say that "God doesn't give us a burden too big for us to bear." Hogwash! You're carrying a very heavy load.
Keep on doing the very best you can and we'll keep doing the best we can to help.
Sending love and healing prayers.
Post a Comment
<< Home