Climbing out of the haze
I am finally beginning to climb out of the chemo haze, I think. The addition of Zometa really knocked me down. I was pretty much asleep all day Thursday, and Friday I created a makeshift office from my bedroom, which worked well enough. The swelling in my feet has gone down a bit. The breathing is still an issue, especially in the morning, when it's much harder to catch my breath. But I didn't expect that to turn around very quickly. I'm still tired, but if I'm distracted then I can put it aside, at least for a few hours. I have to say, I'm thankful I don't have treatment again on Tuesday. It would just be too much. I need a week to rebuild some strength.
This weekend, Jason is sailing on the Chesapeake so I'm at my parents' getting lots of TLC. Single-floor living is also quite a treat!
Appetite I think is my biggest problem right now. I'm just not hungry, and very few things appeal to me. I'm particularly averse to salty foods. I try my best to eat as much protein as possible, but it's so hard. I love food. It's so hard not to be able to eat the things I love. It's just another thing that cancer takes away. That's definitely one thing I want back. That, and my skinny ankles.
I'm not sure I'd mentioned in the blog - last weekend I ripped off the Fentanyl patch because I think it was making me totally loopy. So now I'm back to Dilaudid twice a day. This pretty much takes care of the pain, which clearly has gotten better. Which is a good sign.
Thank you for all the support from the last blog posting. It's so comforting to have all of you out there, it really is. It means so much to me.
This weekend, Jason is sailing on the Chesapeake so I'm at my parents' getting lots of TLC. Single-floor living is also quite a treat!
Appetite I think is my biggest problem right now. I'm just not hungry, and very few things appeal to me. I'm particularly averse to salty foods. I try my best to eat as much protein as possible, but it's so hard. I love food. It's so hard not to be able to eat the things I love. It's just another thing that cancer takes away. That's definitely one thing I want back. That, and my skinny ankles.
I'm not sure I'd mentioned in the blog - last weekend I ripped off the Fentanyl patch because I think it was making me totally loopy. So now I'm back to Dilaudid twice a day. This pretty much takes care of the pain, which clearly has gotten better. Which is a good sign.
Thank you for all the support from the last blog posting. It's so comforting to have all of you out there, it really is. It means so much to me.

5 Comments:
No need to thank us. Thank you. Thank you for keeping us in your world. Thank you for having the strength to blog even when you're not feeling 100%. You never need to thank your friends and your family. We are and will continue to be your support system. That's just what we do.
Hugs from Baltimore!
Barb
We're here for you. Keep trying different foods until you find something you can eat even if it's just a bite at a time. We want your strength to return - and your ankles!
RACHEL,
I too have been reading your blog and sending love and positive thoughts your way, but wanted to become one more named supporter in your army of supporters. Others have said this as well, but I applaud your courage, candor, full frontal attack and positive approach to dealing with this dreadful disease. Thank you for sharing with us and letting us be a part of your journey. Much love and positive thoughts are coming your way and I'm glad you have a week to regain your energy. Joan
Rachel-
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said so eloquently, but I want you to know that you're in my mind everyday.
Go get a bissel nosh.
With love,
Dan
Rachel,
You don't know me/us but we are friends with Mary--your mother-in-law!! My husband rented ground from Jason's grandparents and has seen Jason a few times!! I've met Jason a couple of times but I keep in touch with Mary sporadically on email and the phone!! Our Thai "daughter" and I went up and stayed in Chicago with Mary on Memorial Day of 2006--We had a GREAT time!!
She told me about your blog and I've read it off and on since spring--I'm SO sorry about the summer you've had BUT KEEP LOOKING UP--It's gotta get better!! Our thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and Jason!!
Charlie and Gina Snider from Shelbina, MO
P.S. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in Sept. 2003 so I can relate to SOME of what you are going through... PLUS I'm new to commenting to a blog so...we'll see if this even comes through...
Post a Comment
<< Home