Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Today's new treatment

Today went well. I told Dr. Fox my concerns about how information was delivered to me last Friday, and he agreed it was not appropriate, and apologized. At the same time, he firmly believes that the switch in treatment is imperative. There are many drugs to choose from, and they chose these two because they are the most different from what my stubborn cancer has seen before. They will be administered once a week for three weeks, and then one week off. Hopefully, this will minimize the side effects, which I think I may have blown out of proportion. We are stopping Avastin, however, because one of the side effects is lowered platelet levels, and combined with the Avastin, Dr. Fox felt there were too many safety issues. We can always start Avastin later, he said, when it looks like things might be stablized.

As for the CT, I am going to have one on Monday, and that will be the new baseline. And I don't have to do the oral contrast! he said that we can get a good reading on the liver without the wretched stuff, so why put me through more suffering.

After meeting with Dr. Fox, I went back to chemo and the two drugs went in pretty easily - one 30 minute infusion, one 40 minute infusion. It was incredibly smooth. We were out before noon, which is a rare event. So now we wait, and hope. I don't know if this one will work. If not, there are many more to try.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom always told me to envision the chemo like it's doing the necessary weeding in my body -- getting that yucky stuff out that shouldn't be growing there. You're just doing some heavy duty weeding right now -- hang in there...flowers are just around the corner.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better report today. You sound calmer and more comfortable with treatment choices selected by Dr. Fox. BTW, Fox was my mother's maiden name. My cousin, Lois Fox, married Richard Mink, and that interesting pairing made the newspapers. (In Perth Amboy, NJ, there wasn't a lot of exciting news.......)

Love and hugs (but not too hard),
Mina

7:27 PM  
Blogger Barb Moore said...

You sure sound a little more comfortable today with everything. You are an amazying pillar of strength which has to account for something, it just HAS to. I'm sure all the love and support you receive helps but it's because of your continued spirit and attititude that is so key in all of this. Dr Fox sounds like he posses compassion and knowledge. A good combination I'd say. Thanks for the update today!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I am a nurse as well as a breast cancer survivor. I am frequently disappointed at the lack of common sense and compassion I have seen in my profession.
I am glad that Dr. Fox apologized and treated you with dignity and compassion.
You should never be left out of the loop.
Please know love and positive thoughts are being sent to you every day.
Keep strong. You are amazing.

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Fox sounds like a good guy. I like that he's tailoring the treatment for you as best he can. Here's hoping the chemo will be eaier on you than you first thought. You deserve a break. Love and healing wishes sent your way.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

Hang in there. You are very brave. You are an inspiration to your many anonymous readers.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home