Sunday, July 29, 2007

A taste of normal

This was an official upswing. Several days in a row of feeling pretty good! Jason's mom was visiting this weekend, and we were able to enjoy a few days without me being incapable of doing anything. In fact, yesterday, I went on my first Target excursion in several weeks, and, even more exciting, we went out to dinner!! I haven't been out to dinner in months, it seems. My appetite is definitely back, and my breathing has significantly improved. My feet have started to drain, although there's still fluid in my ankles. But it's definitely better. I was able to walk around, walk on the treadmill, do some stretching exercises - get the blood flowing again. My muscles have atrophied and I am so weak. But at least I can make it all the way up to the third floor without being totally winded.

I do know, however, that this is temporary. On Tuesday, I'll get more chemo and be knocked down a bit. And I hope that I'll get back to where I am now relatively soon. But this weekend, last night, going out to dinner, it was a glimpse. It was a glimpse into what my hopes are for the future, and it was a glimpse into how things used to be. On a normal Saturday night, Jason and I would go out to dinner, then maybe have a drink somewhere else or walk around or go somewhere. It hurts so much that it can't be like that. That hurt just never goes away. A taste of normal can be bittersweet. But we try to enjoy it as much as we can.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel-
It's wonderful to hear the sunshine in your voice-
We're with you rain or shine- Hoping the next week is hard on the cancer and easy on you- Love, Eleanor

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rejoice for your new found strength. It's good to know that so much of what you were feeling is from the treatment, not the disease. I'm hoping that by letting you recover from the last treatment, this week's chemo will be easier on you. Thanks for sharing your glimpse. We're hoping for a full out panoramic soon!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Hallelujah!!!! What wonderful news! You see what our positive energy combined with your undescribable strength does! I just don't know what else to say but way to go, keep up the good work and best of luck Tuesday!!!

7:50 PM  
Blogger kadud said...

I am so happy you were back on the treadmill this weekend! And out to dinner - with beautiful weather, I know that was nice for you. You will be able to take these 100% weeks and really work up your strength and positivity for the next fight. The treadmill walk just got me so excited! Maybe we should throw a sleeve on those ankles and see what it can do....

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, I'm SO glad you've had a good weekend, you deserve it SO MUCH! To be able to tie together your memories of better times with a promise of better times in the future is wonderful. That gives you something to hold on to when you get your next chemo - hang in there and you can get through it to the next good weekend. I'll be thinking of you Tuesday.
Love, Connie

10:05 AM  
Blogger Brie said...

I am so glad to hear you are feeling better and able to be more active. I can only imagine how much you must crave that. We're here (albeit 3000 miles away) if you or Jason need anything, we miss you and we love you.

Brie, Kevin, and Monte!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, it is so good to hear you have an upswing. we are hoping this weeks roller coaster will be much smoother. love to you all.
judith

5:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We're so glad that you're feeling better. The stairs and the treadmill- fantastic! Hope this week goes well and by next week, you'll be out to dinner and taking a walk again. Love, Judi and Stanley

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home